Friday, February 26, 2021

Get ready for your first driving lesson!

You've received your new provisional driving licence, you've booked your first driving lesson, now you're wondering what to expect. I will explain everything to put you at ease and look forward to beginning your learning journey.

Thank you for choosing me as your driving instructor and I look forward to our adventure.

Be sure to get a good night's sleep before the big day. You'll want to feel fresh and ready to begin the lifetime skill of driving a car. Have breakfast and bring a bottle of water with you, particularly if its a warm day. The car is fully air conditioned but the stop-start nature of the early steps to driving will mean the engine won't always be running.

I will pick you up from the address you've given me at your chosen date and time.

Have your driving licence ready for me to check. I will check that the photo on your licence resembles something like you, don't be shy, if you've got an awful photo like me, I won't judge! I will then conduct a quick eyesight check to ensure you meet the safety requirements to drive a vehicle. Remember to bring glasses if you need them, sunglasses if its bright.

We will then go to a suitable area ideal for practising the basics of car control. During the journey I will introduce myself and tell you a little about today's lesson. Feel free to ask any questions - at any time - no question is a silly question, ask away.

When we reach a suitable area, we will swap seats (Covid19 regulations followed of course). We will get you sitting comfortably, set up those mirrors, get everything ready to go. We will then begin to explore what the various controls, switches and levers do. I will check your understanding and fill in any gaps in your knowledge. Keep those questions coming.

Once you've familiarised yourself with the car, we can then have a look at the process of moving off and stopping. We will break it down into small chunks for you to have a go. Try it, have fun, don't worry - you won't break anything! It's worth pointing out I have a clutch and brake pedal so I can stop the car safely if the need arises. You'll be moving off in no time. Imagine that! We will spend time repeating the process until you feel ready to try some gear changes.


Depending on the area's suitability we may get the chance to use some quiet junctions - no pressure, the option will be there if you wish. I will always encourage you but I'm conscious it is a lot of information to take in on a first lesson.

You will be amazed just how much progress you will make in such a short amount of time. Feel free to do as much or as little as you wish, there are no hard and fast rules, just relax, get used to it and enjoy it.


Again, if you have any questions, fire away. Your input is always welcomed and encouraged. Been driving with your parents prior to lessons and want to try things a different way? Go for it.

We will then have a little debrief about what you've learned and what you'd like to achieve next. As always, I will ensure you are very much in control of how you'd like lessons to develop. I will ensure everyone's safety at all times. We will then set a few goals for the next lesson.

We will then head home and we can set a date and time for your next lesson. Congratulations, you've taken the first steps to getting onto the road. Now is the time to begin practising for your theory test - the earlier you pass this the more time you'll have to focus on the practical test.

I very much look forward to meeting you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

'Show me tell me' explanation

You will be asked one 'show me' question and one 'tell me' question on your driving test. You will most likely be using thes...